There is just something about high school love that is so sweet, innocent, and captivating. The pressures of dating, starting college, and moving are challenging in their own respect. However, finding the one who will go headstrong into all of those challenges with you, and ask for your hand in marriage, is a whole other element! Haydn and Jake met while they were in high school and when they started thinking of college, they were both relieved to know that they had found the one who would go through all of life’s challenges with them. “When you are dating, there are two options – to continue the relationship and eventually get married or to break up. Once Jake and I started talking about the fact that we wanted to stay together in college, despite being at separate universities, we knew that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.”
During their engagement shoot, these two were all smiles, giggles, and cuddles while the snow flurries blew around us at Sapphire Point in Breckenridge, overlooking Lake Dillon. The sincere love that they share is not only refreshing, but encouraging to watch as they finish college, move in for the first time together, and plan their 2017 summer wedding. Haydn and Jake, we are so excited that you have found each other and we absolutely can’t wait to be there with you as you say, “We do!” next summer! Congratulations!
Tay and Mike
How did you two meet? “Jake and I met in high school – well, not as much “met” as texted. We had a history class together our junior year and he texted me for the first time on November 28, 2012. Since then we have never gone a day without each other.”
Tell us about your first date! “We went to Red Robin to eat dinner on our first date. I got a half of a salad and Jake got mini burgers (which is definitely not what we would normally get – we were just nervous). We ended up having a great time and talking like crazy!”
When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “When you are dating, there are two options – to continue the relationship and eventually get married or to break up. Once Jake and I started talking about the fact that we wanted to stay together in college, despite being at separate universities, we knew that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.”
How did Jake propose? “Jake and I went to the Turks and Caicos Islands this summer. One night before dinner Jake and I went on our nightly walk along the beach and when we got to a sandbar he told me to walk away from him. When I turned around he was on one knee asking me to marry him. I was crying like crazy and after taking in the moment finally said, “YES!”
What has been the most fun element of wedding planning? “We loved being able to pick the venue together. It is such an amazing place and we cannot wait to get married there!”
What’s a fun quirk you love about the other? “Jake and I have the ability to have fun together no matter what the situation. We don’t care what is going on around us as long as we together we are having a great time!”
What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day? “We are most looking forward to seeing each other for the first time on our wedding day. That will be the time when it all sinks in and we will be able to begin an amazing day where we say, “I do,” and start our lives together.”
We are totally believers of fate, and that you’re meant to cross paths with certain people in life. When we received an e-mail from Kari and Nick about their Granby Ranch Wedding next year in Granby, Colorado, we were so excited! We had the pleasure of having already met and worked with Kari at Jenny and Chris’s awesome wedding in 2017. With such a fun group of friends and family at that wedding, we were so thrilled to have Kari and Nick reach out to us, as we already knew they were great and we were in for an amazing day with them!
Their engagement shoot totally affirmed what we already knew…that they were a great couple totally made for each other! We are so thrilled to be a part of their wedding day next year. Thank you so much, Kari and Nick, and congratulations you two! We’re counting down the days to celebrate with you!
• How did you and two meet? “At a bar downtown. Nick was playing pool with his friends and my friend Sonja and I thought they were cute and so we asked if we could play them in the next game. WE SUCKED! But we had a great time.”
• Tell us about your first date! “We had a lot of dinners at my old apartment when we first started dating, but one of our first dates was a Rockies game. We had a lot of fun getting to know each other, we were young in our careers and pretty care-free. One of our first times hanging out Nick opened my car door. That was pretty memorable for me, because I had never been out with such a gentlemen and I was taken off guard, but also very excited.”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “Nick and I had a somewhat long distance relationship for the first 2 or so years. He lived in Casper, WY for his job and I lived here in Denver. He had a 2 weeks on, 1 week off schedule, so he would drive down here every 2 weeks and stay with me. At that time I knew that Nick was a very determined and committed man. In the summer of the second year of us dating, my roommate informed me that she was going to be moving out. I couldn’t afford a place on my own and was contemplating what the next move would be. Although Nick was still technically living in WY, we knew we would live together once he could find work in Denver. Nick offered to co-sign and lease and pay half the rent in our first house in the Highlands in Denver. He gave up his apartment in Wyoming and moved in with a friend for a cheaper rent. He paid 2 rents just to make sure that I was taken care of!! I think I always knew Nick was “the one”, but that life move proved that Nick would do anything to support his family and to put me first and I felt the same about him. So, at that point it was just a matter of time 🙂 ”
• How did Nick propose? “My family takes an annual camping trip to Turquoise Lake in Leadville. We hangout, take walks, let Bridger swim in the lake and relax on the “beach”. We had just gotten up there, ate lunch and went down to the water to throw sticks for Bridger. We were reading magazines, drinking beer, just having fun. My sister, mom and dad were all there. I got up to throw a stick for Bridger and when I turned around Nick was on one knee with a beautiful ring. It was perfectly simple and totally us.”
• What has been the most fun element of wedding planning? “I actually think wedding planning has been kind of stressful…So much to do! For me though, picking out the venue with Nick was fun. Nick has to work long hours, so anything we get to do for the wedding together, instead of a part via text, has been the most fun for me.”
• What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day? “Having all of our family and friends together in one place.”
What more is there to love about these two than their adorable dog, amazing relationship, hilarious personalities, and genuine hearts? Let me tell you, from the first time we sat down to drinks with Holly and Ricky, we knew they were insanely awesome and that we wanted to be apart of their Colorado wedding next year at Deer Creek Valley Ranch. After nearly twelve years together, these two are tying the knot in 2017 and it was such a joy to hear their story about their love (especially in middle school), the move they made together and the life they’re building in Colorado, about their jobs, and especially about their dog, Sara! When Holly and Ricky answered some questions about their story for us, Mike and I were literally in tears from laughing so hard! I honestly don’t think I’ve laughed harder while reading our couples responses. Their conflicting (but oddly similar) storylines of how their relationship progressed from the 8th grade to their proposal to wedding planning, are perfect for these two. We are so thrilled and honored to get to be a part of their amazing day with them! Thank you two so much for sharing this time with us!
Mike and Tay
Holly: “We met in 8th grade! He tried to chat with me on AIM and I thought he was a different guy so I actually ignored him….eventually he came up to me and asked why I wouldn’t talk to him? It was so cute. He says we met in 7th grade science class, but I swear I would have remembered those 2000s frosted blonde tips anywhere!”
Ricky: “We DID meet in science class, I sat one row back from her! And we met in the quad and a friend said we should date because we were both tall. And she did also think I was a different Ricky, obviously I was the cool one.”
• Tell us about your first date!
Holly : “Oh geez, for our first date our parents had to drop us off! We met at the movies at the mall and watched Shrek 2. He wouldn’t hold my hand so I was pretty sure he didn’t like me.”
Ricky : “I couldn’t believe a girl that pretty would want to go on a date with me, I was so shy that I was afraid to grab her hand until we were leaving.”
Ricky: “It was awesome! We were in Disneyland in Paris, I already had an idea that she knew it was coming (I mean we’d been together for 11 years at this point…) so I kept leading her to really romantic spots and pausing, only to ask her if she wanted to go get ice cream. I could see the anticipation building up inside of her so I finally took her down to an secluded spot next to the Castle and proposed to her there. She didn’t say yes! All she did was cry and nod, don’t let her tell you she said yes, it’s a lie.”
Holly : “We were in Europe on vacation and he had made it very clear nothing was going to happen, despite my probably annoying hints. Also, he let me pack all of the bags, even his backpack so I was pretty convinced it wasn’t going to happen. When it finally did on that stormy rainy day in Disneyland Paris, nothing could have been more perfect (and I DID say yes!)”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other?
Holly : “I’ve always known I wanted to marry him, but I think when it finally felt real was when I told him I was going to law school anywhere in the country other than our home state and he said he would go anywhere in the world with me. It was the sweetest moment of true love and support for me.”
Ricky : “I don’t know how to answer this, I’ve just always known she was the one.”
As a couple, Mike and I are very adventurous spirits. On any given day you can find us pursuing some type of adventure on two wheels, two legs, four legs, four wheels, and with our dogs or other furry friends. Needless to say, our adventurous couples we have the honor of working with have our hearts! When we first met Carla and Nick for coffee in the fantastic mountain town of Ouray, Colorado, we immediately hit it off with them. Their love to adventure almost instantly got us swapping stories of our motorcycle road trips (they’ve got a seriously sweet record!), our love of hiking, Jeeping in the San Juans, making plans for our dogs happiness in hiking and food, and eventually, the amazing adventures of a wedding day.
These two are hard core Coloradans! Although they’re not natives, you’d be easily fooled. Their wedding next summer is set to take place at Top of the Pines in Ouray with their reception at the Secret Garden downtown. We were so excited just to plan their engagement shoot with them! Their suggestions for fun and adventurous places had us both totally giddy with excitement. When they decided they wanted to meet at Silver Jack Reservoir, we were stoked. Mike has explored that area quite a bit, but it’s very rare that we get folks who want to travel so far for their portraits. We’ll let images speak for themselves and allow Carla and Nick to share their story with y’all. Congratulations again you two! We are so stoked for your mountain wedding next summer!
Mike and Tay
• How did you two meet? “I (Carla) was working at a company in Tampa, Florida and Nick was brought in as a contractor to help out on one of our projects. We would grab coffee together almost every morning and we immediately hit it off. It wasn’t long before we started chatting after work hours even staying up until 5 in the morning sometimes!”
• Tell us about your first date! “Nick planned a day in Safety Harbor, Florida and kept it all a secret ahead of time. He took me to Philippe Park and then we grabbed dinner and drinks at this delicious place called Southern Fresh (southern food is one of my favorites). From there we grabbed ice cream and explored the city talking about any and everything.”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “We both knew back when we were just friends. It was already a topic of discussion the first week of dating haha. When you know, you know!”
• How did Nick propose? “We recently started getting canvas prints of my pictures to decorate our house with and Nick said it would be awesome if we had some sunrise shots from Yankee Boy Basin, one of our favorite areas. That Saturday we woke up at 3:30am and Jeeped up to this amazing lookout spot to wait for the sun to rise while sipping on hot chocolates that Nick made. As soon as the sun peaked over the mountains, Nick said he wanted to get a self-timed picture of us. Once I started the timer and stepped in front of the camera, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! Now we have an amazing picture of the moment that we plan to get printed.”
• What has been the most fun element of wedding planning? “Getting to do it together! Thankfully we both have the same taste with everything so brainstorming ideas together has been something we look forward to doing at the end of our work day.”
• What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day? “Marrying my best friend and getting our families together to celebrate!”
You guys. I wish so much that we could bottle up the love and connection this amazing couple has and share it with the world…we’d seriously be bajillionaires. We first met Elizabeth and Jared for coffee in August and immediately fell in love with them and their story and their vision for their wedding day. We knew the stakes were high as they had big plans for their wedding photography and wanted to hire the right photographers, so we were humbled just to be in the runnings with some of Colorado’s best. Needless to say, we were completely thrilled and honored when they asked us to be a part of their engagement season and wedding day! These high school sweethearts have two of the biggest hearts we’ve ever seen and come on…are they not two of the most photogenic folks ever?! I seriously felt like we were shooting a Taylor Swift music video with them. Their sense of adventure (and willingness to follow me into the river at Lair O’the Bair Park) and photo ideas they brought with them was so refreshing. Their connection and adoration for each other is so apparent in how the love and respect the other. We are so elated to have been welcomed into their lives and be given the opportunity to document this incredible time in their lives! Congratulations, Elizabeth and Jared! We love you guys and are so excited for you!
Mike and Tay
Jared picked me up on Friday evening, and we went to Capital Grille, the restaurant where we had our first anniversary dinner. Dinner was delicious, but I could tell that Jared was nervous about something. But again, I played it off as nothing significant. Towards the end of the meal, Jared asked me if I wanted to go do something else, either see the Christmas lights at the Botanic Gardens or go see the lights at the zoo. Even though it was just barely starting to snow, he wanted to make the most of his time in town and this was something spontaneous and fun. I didn’t know about this plan prior to being picked up for dinner, so I wasn’t as prepared for the weather as I would’ve liked to be… but Jared was very persistent about going to see lights, saying that he only comes to town every so often, it’s a holiday week, etc. etc. I even put “watching a movie on our couch” back on the table once more, but he didn’t take the bait. I began thinking that on the off-chance that this was the engagement, I shouldn’t be too stubborn, so I decided to give in, and sure enough, we journeyed to the lights.
We were going through the path of lights, and we stopped at a point by a small gazebo, just right off the path. It was a pretty quiet night, just starting to snow, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said “Yes!” and the rest is history.”
What has been the most fun element of wedding planning?
If you’ve lived in Colorado of any longer than six months, odds are you’ve heard of Kenosha Pass and how majestic it is in the fall. Folks from all over the state and country come to see this amazing place during the months of September and October (we call them fall peepers). The beauty there is totally undeniable and needless to say, I was absolutely thrilled when Alex and Matt were on board for doing their fall engagement shoot there! This place holds a special place in my own heart, as it was one of the few drives that I remembered the first time I drove through Colorado nearly ten years ago, and it fit this wonderful couple’s adventurous sprits perfectly! From the first time I met Alex and Matt, I knew their wedding was one I wanted to be apart of. Their connection and our shared story of meeting the love of our life online was so awesome. I loved hearing their story of how they met, where they came from in their walks of life, and how Matt proposed. Their fall wedding next year at the Pines at Genesee has me so giddy and excited, I can hardly wait! Congratulations to you two and thank you so much for having me be a part of this magical time in your lives!
• How did you two meet? “Matt and I meet on eHarmony, the best part is we have lived within 20 minutes of each our whole lives we share common places of interest growing up.”
• Tell us about your first date! “As far our first date goes we went to a place in the DTC landmark area, for drinks after a long day of work for both of us. conversation was okay but I (Alex) felt like Matt didn’t like me because he wouldn’t keep eye contact long, he kept looking above my head. I later discovered he did this because behind me an NBA playoff game was playing. Needless to say I was shocked when he asked me to join him on a second date. it’s all history from there. ”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “We realized we wanted to get married when we could just sit around and enjoy each others company, learning to take pleasure in the simple things and not need to do anything fancy. We became comfortable enough with each other to share and talk about our faith, goals, aspirations in addition to passionately yelling at the TV during CSU and Vikings games.”
• What has been the most fun element of wedding planning? “So far it has been picking the venue.”
• How did Matt propose? “We ventured up to Fort Collins for the day to enjoy the city of Fort Collins and a CSU basketball game. After the game we enjoyed some burgers and beers and than headed to the home we share where Matt had set up a surprised, were I could see the ring, candles, and a collage of photos form the previous two years of us dating.”
• What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day? “Getting to pronounce our love to each other in front of friends of family as well as party the night away and Duh, the Honeymoon!”
Oh, you guys. I wish we could share the sounds of laughter through Alissa and Alex’s photos! From the moment we chatted with these two over the phone, we knew we were going to have an awesome time getting to know them and shooting their wedding this fall in Westcliffe, Colorado. These two met while in the Air Force a few years ago, but it wasn’t until recently that they started pursuing each other and with a whirlwind of a couple of days this summer, decided to plan their Colorado wedding for October! We met Alissa and Alex at her parents stunning ranch in Westcliffe for their sunrise shoot over the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. Needless to say, it was breathtaking (and we admittedly got a little “ranch envy”). We are so thrilled for these two and their awesome journey to each other and can’t wait to celebrate with them on their wedding day in a few weeks!
Congratulations, you two! Thank you so much for having us be a part of it all with you!
• Tell us about how you two met? “Alex and I met briefly at Moody AFB in GA a couple years ago but didn’t stay in touch. We remet at the Nellis AFB officers club while we were both attending weapons school. His friend pointed us out to each other.”
• How did Alex propose? “The first time? After a few to many drinks down on one knee with no ring haha. The second time was after we were already married on our back porch watching a great thunderstorm in the pouring rain at night. He had a list of the 21 reasons we should be wed and my ring.”
• What are you most excited about for your wedding day? “The party!! We can’t wait to celebrate our new life together with our family and friends.”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “We became instant best friends and after only a few times hanging out we both just knew that this was the person we were each meant to be with for the rest of our lives. Neither of us had ever been so certain about something.”
• Alissa, what is your favorite quirk about Alex? “Alex loves to have his back scratched. He’ll lean his back or shoulder in my direction for it. I love it haha.”
• Alex, what is your favorite quirk about Alissa? “When I lean in to kiss Alissa in the truck she always licks her lips, it’s really cute. Actually, she does that almost all the time before I kiss her.”
This weekend was something magical! We had the honor of being a part of Krysta and David’s surprise proposal in Rocky Mountain National Park! These two are just the sweetest couple, and we learned quickly that David was willing to do whatever it took to make this moment perfect for Krysta. When I first chatted with David, he had a few ideas of how he wanted to ask the love of his life to marry him, but all the ideas revolved around their camping trip to RMNP for the weekend. With poor weather earlier in the week, we were all a little nervous for what might happen on Saturday afternoon (thanks for the unnecessary worrying, Colorado!). Nevertheless, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, and David’s heart was racing as they made their way around Sprague Lake to a picnic set up by the lake.
Mike quickly climbed a nearby tree to get this amazing event and when I saw them coming I yelled, “THERE ARE FISH IN THE WATER!”, our code for “THEY’RE COMING!!!!!!!!” We get so excited for this moment in couples lives and are honored to be a part of it. When they arrived, Krysta said, “Let’s just sit on this bench here,” while David struggled to get her to walk to the picnic he had us prepare of the two of them. As they walked she thought someone was doing just that…having a picnic. It was only seconds until she realized that the photos in the frames were of the two of them and that something incredible was about it happen! You can imagine what happened next, so we’ll let you enjoy the photos and let them tell the rest of the story. A huge congratulations to you, David and Krysta! We are so honored to have been there with you when your life changed in just a few seconds. Thank you for letting us capture your story!
Mike and Tay
• How did the two of you meet? “I moved to California in June 2013 to start my first travel nurse assignment. After six months at Stanford Hospital, I loved everything about the hospital and the surrounding area so I decided to stay as a permanent nurse. The timing was perfect; I had enough time to fly home for the Christmas and make it back before my full-time position started at Stanford. I sent a Facebook message to David and asked him for his phone number and we ended up catching up and talking about where our lives had taken us over the last few years. I invited him to a get-together with some of my friends while I was back home and was surprised that he actually showed up! We ended up talking and hanging out the whole time I was back over the holidays.”
“I went back to California thinking it would be hard to start a relationship since he was living in Minneapolis pursuing his MBA in Finance while I was living in in Santa Clara and working at Stanford Hospital. Shockingly enough, we ended up talking almost every day and visited each other a few times over the next year. In March of 2015, David went on a trip to Mexico with his younger sister and we spoke on the phone the night he got back. At one point in the conversation, he asked me where I thought our relationship might be headed because he was starting to think that he was falling in love with me. The rest is history.” -Krysta
• Tell us about the proposal from your eyes! “David and I decided to plan a weekend getaway to go camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. We went to Estes Park the prior weekend to meet David’s aunt and uncle, Pam and Clark. We had such a great day with them; touring the Stanley Hotel, riding the Aerial Tramway to Prospect Mountain, and visiting the Estes Park Brewery. Afterwards, David and I drove to our campsite so David could “make sure everything would fit at the campsite.” We were so excited for our first camping trip together but were a bit nervous that there was quite a bit of rain in the forecast. David got off of work early on Friday and we arrived to our campsite just as the skies were clearing.”
“We woke up Saturday to clear blue skies and beautiful weather. David made me breakfast over the fire before a great 13 mile hike alongside Alpine Lakes and scenic vistas. We had such a great day hiking and laughing together. Once back at our campsite, we changed out of our sweaty hiking gear started to make our way to Sprague Lake to watch the sunset over a glass of wine. The sunset was as perfect as the sunrise earlier in the day with clear blue skies. As we were walking around the lake, we noticed a bride and groom taking their wedding pictures. We congratulated them as we passed and were approaching a clearing where it looked like someone was having a picnic. As we got a bit closer, I sat down on a bench to rest my legs after a long day hiking.”
“David, acting somewhat strange, took my hand and started leading me up a small hill to the picnic area. I was so confused because as we were walking, I saw a photographer moving from behind a rock. I looked at David and said, “Dave, move! There’s a photographer who’s trying to take that bride and groom’s picture!” He just smiled and kept leading me up the hill. We reached the area where the blanket was laid out and I noticed that it wasn’t a picnic at all; it was pictures of us, candles, roses, champagne and champagne flutes that had been engraved with our names, date, and location. David got down on one knee and asked me to marry him as Taylor and Mike, our fantastic husband and wife photography team, captured the best moment of our life!” -Krysta
Shooting family members seriously brings us true joy. Knowing our loved ones trust us with the most special and intimate day of their lives takes our confidence and pride in what we do to an entirely different level. When we found out Caleb had proposed to Brenda, we were absolutely elated! This man has been prayed for and anxiously awaited for to be welcomed into Brenda’s life, and when he finally came, there wasn’t a shadow of a doubt these two were meant to be together. Their genuine joy and excitement of being together is undeniable and quite honestly, they made our job of shooting their engagement photos super easy. We just waited for one of them to crack a joke and BOOM! We had the shot we were waiting for. We are so excited to be a part of this time in your lives, Brenda and Caleb, and we can’t wait for your big day next summer!
Mike and Tay
How did you two meet? “We met the way all fairy tale characters meet before their “happily ever after”! The good ol’ fashion way… Online, on match.com!”
When did you know that you wanted to marry each other? Caleb : “I believe it’s hard to pinpoint an exact moment in time that I realized I wanted to marry my best friend. It is a combination of monumental moments that makes this realization come to focus. It’s the moments that surprised me the most such as the times she showed her patience, determination and the unconditional love she displayed towards me and my life goals.”
Brenda : “It wasn’t really an exact moment for me but I knew on our first date that Caleb was someone special. We say we have “I love you moments” where our love deepened and our relationship grew and I think it was a culmination of those times that showed me that I couldn’t see my life without him.”
How did Caleb propose? Brenda : “I’m a teacher and Caleb proposed at the end of our summer school session! He had my principal in on it for months! My boss asked me to come to his office and we were talking about our summer plans. Then he handed me a note that said “This meeting has nothing to do with why you’re here. Take this flashlight and go to the gym.” When I walked into the dark gym, our song was playing and candles and rose petals scattered the room. There were tables set up with pictures and beautifully written memories that led around a corner to him on one knee! It was absolutely breath taking!”
What is your favorite quirk about the other? Brenda : “His quick sense of humor.” Caleb : ” Her ability to consistently surprise me in the sense of humor she displays.”
What are you most looking forward to about your wedding? Brenda: “That’s easy! Being married to Caleb at the end of it all!”
Caleb : “It’s as simple as finally being married to my best friend and sharing every waking moment together. I am turning a new page in this chapter of my life and I couldn’t be more ready!”
Meeting wonderful couples by chance is such an incredible thing. While hunting for our next car, we had the chance to meet Mike and spend some time with him. While chatting he told us about the love of his life, Heather, and their story (which is amazing). The met when Mike ran over a friend with a boat (no one was hurt)–but that event opened the door of a lifetime for these two! Their love for travel and their pups is so inspiring as is the way they make each other laugh and love is second to none. We’re so excited to have had the honor to meet them and start an awesome friendship! Thank you so much for having us be a part of your lives, you two!
Mike + Tay