You guys. I wish so much that we could bottle up the love and connection this amazing couple has and share it with the world…we’d seriously be bajillionaires. We first met Elizabeth and Jared for coffee in August and immediately fell in love with them and their story and their vision for their wedding day. We knew the stakes were high as they had big plans for their wedding photography and wanted to hire the right photographers, so we were humbled just to be in the runnings with some of Colorado’s best. Needless to say, we were completely thrilled and honored when they asked us to be a part of their engagement season and wedding day! These high school sweethearts have two of the biggest hearts we’ve ever seen and come on…are they not two of the most photogenic folks ever?! I seriously felt like we were shooting a Taylor Swift music video with them. Their sense of adventure (and willingness to follow me into the river at Lair O’the Bair Park) and photo ideas they brought with them was so refreshing. Their connection and adoration for each other is so apparent in how the love and respect the other. We are so elated to have been welcomed into their lives and be given the opportunity to document this incredible time in their lives! Congratulations, Elizabeth and Jared! We love you guys and are so excited for you!
Mike and Tay
Jared picked me up on Friday evening, and we went to Capital Grille, the restaurant where we had our first anniversary dinner. Dinner was delicious, but I could tell that Jared was nervous about something. But again, I played it off as nothing significant. Towards the end of the meal, Jared asked me if I wanted to go do something else, either see the Christmas lights at the Botanic Gardens or go see the lights at the zoo. Even though it was just barely starting to snow, he wanted to make the most of his time in town and this was something spontaneous and fun. I didn’t know about this plan prior to being picked up for dinner, so I wasn’t as prepared for the weather as I would’ve liked to be… but Jared was very persistent about going to see lights, saying that he only comes to town every so often, it’s a holiday week, etc. etc. I even put “watching a movie on our couch” back on the table once more, but he didn’t take the bait. I began thinking that on the off-chance that this was the engagement, I shouldn’t be too stubborn, so I decided to give in, and sure enough, we journeyed to the lights.
We were going through the path of lights, and we stopped at a point by a small gazebo, just right off the path. It was a pretty quiet night, just starting to snow, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said “Yes!” and the rest is history.”
What has been the most fun element of wedding planning?
If you’ve lived in Colorado of any longer than six months, odds are you’ve heard of Kenosha Pass and how majestic it is in the fall. Folks from all over the state and country come to see this amazing place during the months of September and October (we call them fall peepers). The beauty there is totally undeniable and needless to say, I was absolutely thrilled when Alex and Matt were on board for doing their fall engagement shoot there! This place holds a special place in my own heart, as it was one of the few drives that I remembered the first time I drove through Colorado nearly ten years ago, and it fit this wonderful couple’s adventurous sprits perfectly! From the first time I met Alex and Matt, I knew their wedding was one I wanted to be apart of. Their connection and our shared story of meeting the love of our life online was so awesome. I loved hearing their story of how they met, where they came from in their walks of life, and how Matt proposed. Their fall wedding next year at the Pines at Genesee has me so giddy and excited, I can hardly wait! Congratulations to you two and thank you so much for having me be a part of this magical time in your lives!
• How did you two meet? “Matt and I meet on eHarmony, the best part is we have lived within 20 minutes of each our whole lives we share common places of interest growing up.”
• Tell us about your first date! “As far our first date goes we went to a place in the DTC landmark area, for drinks after a long day of work for both of us. conversation was okay but I (Alex) felt like Matt didn’t like me because he wouldn’t keep eye contact long, he kept looking above my head. I later discovered he did this because behind me an NBA playoff game was playing. Needless to say I was shocked when he asked me to join him on a second date. it’s all history from there. ”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “We realized we wanted to get married when we could just sit around and enjoy each others company, learning to take pleasure in the simple things and not need to do anything fancy. We became comfortable enough with each other to share and talk about our faith, goals, aspirations in addition to passionately yelling at the TV during CSU and Vikings games.”
• What has been the most fun element of wedding planning? “So far it has been picking the venue.”
• How did Matt propose? “We ventured up to Fort Collins for the day to enjoy the city of Fort Collins and a CSU basketball game. After the game we enjoyed some burgers and beers and than headed to the home we share where Matt had set up a surprised, were I could see the ring, candles, and a collage of photos form the previous two years of us dating.”
• What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day? “Getting to pronounce our love to each other in front of friends of family as well as party the night away and Duh, the Honeymoon!”
Oh, you guys. I wish we could share the sounds of laughter through Alissa and Alex’s photos! From the moment we chatted with these two over the phone, we knew we were going to have an awesome time getting to know them and shooting their wedding this fall in Westcliffe, Colorado. These two met while in the Air Force a few years ago, but it wasn’t until recently that they started pursuing each other and with a whirlwind of a couple of days this summer, decided to plan their Colorado wedding for October! We met Alissa and Alex at her parents stunning ranch in Westcliffe for their sunrise shoot over the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. Needless to say, it was breathtaking (and we admittedly got a little “ranch envy”). We are so thrilled for these two and their awesome journey to each other and can’t wait to celebrate with them on their wedding day in a few weeks!
Congratulations, you two! Thank you so much for having us be a part of it all with you!
• Tell us about how you two met? “Alex and I met briefly at Moody AFB in GA a couple years ago but didn’t stay in touch. We remet at the Nellis AFB officers club while we were both attending weapons school. His friend pointed us out to each other.”
• How did Alex propose? “The first time? After a few to many drinks down on one knee with no ring haha. The second time was after we were already married on our back porch watching a great thunderstorm in the pouring rain at night. He had a list of the 21 reasons we should be wed and my ring.”
• What are you most excited about for your wedding day? “The party!! We can’t wait to celebrate our new life together with our family and friends.”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “We became instant best friends and after only a few times hanging out we both just knew that this was the person we were each meant to be with for the rest of our lives. Neither of us had ever been so certain about something.”
• Alissa, what is your favorite quirk about Alex? “Alex loves to have his back scratched. He’ll lean his back or shoulder in my direction for it. I love it haha.”
• Alex, what is your favorite quirk about Alissa? “When I lean in to kiss Alissa in the truck she always licks her lips, it’s really cute. Actually, she does that almost all the time before I kiss her.”
This weekend was something magical! We had the honor of being a part of Krysta and David’s surprise proposal in Rocky Mountain National Park! These two are just the sweetest couple, and we learned quickly that David was willing to do whatever it took to make this moment perfect for Krysta. When I first chatted with David, he had a few ideas of how he wanted to ask the love of his life to marry him, but all the ideas revolved around their camping trip to RMNP for the weekend. With poor weather earlier in the week, we were all a little nervous for what might happen on Saturday afternoon (thanks for the unnecessary worrying, Colorado!). Nevertheless, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, and David’s heart was racing as they made their way around Sprague Lake to a picnic set up by the lake.
Mike quickly climbed a nearby tree to get this amazing event and when I saw them coming I yelled, “THERE ARE FISH IN THE WATER!”, our code for “THEY’RE COMING!!!!!!!!” We get so excited for this moment in couples lives and are honored to be a part of it. When they arrived, Krysta said, “Let’s just sit on this bench here,” while David struggled to get her to walk to the picnic he had us prepare of the two of them. As they walked she thought someone was doing just that…having a picnic. It was only seconds until she realized that the photos in the frames were of the two of them and that something incredible was about it happen! You can imagine what happened next, so we’ll let you enjoy the photos and let them tell the rest of the story. A huge congratulations to you, David and Krysta! We are so honored to have been there with you when your life changed in just a few seconds. Thank you for letting us capture your story!
Mike and Tay
• How did the two of you meet? “I moved to California in June 2013 to start my first travel nurse assignment. After six months at Stanford Hospital, I loved everything about the hospital and the surrounding area so I decided to stay as a permanent nurse. The timing was perfect; I had enough time to fly home for the Christmas and make it back before my full-time position started at Stanford. I sent a Facebook message to David and asked him for his phone number and we ended up catching up and talking about where our lives had taken us over the last few years. I invited him to a get-together with some of my friends while I was back home and was surprised that he actually showed up! We ended up talking and hanging out the whole time I was back over the holidays.”
“I went back to California thinking it would be hard to start a relationship since he was living in Minneapolis pursuing his MBA in Finance while I was living in in Santa Clara and working at Stanford Hospital. Shockingly enough, we ended up talking almost every day and visited each other a few times over the next year. In March of 2015, David went on a trip to Mexico with his younger sister and we spoke on the phone the night he got back. At one point in the conversation, he asked me where I thought our relationship might be headed because he was starting to think that he was falling in love with me. The rest is history.” -Krysta
• Tell us about the proposal from your eyes! “David and I decided to plan a weekend getaway to go camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. We went to Estes Park the prior weekend to meet David’s aunt and uncle, Pam and Clark. We had such a great day with them; touring the Stanley Hotel, riding the Aerial Tramway to Prospect Mountain, and visiting the Estes Park Brewery. Afterwards, David and I drove to our campsite so David could “make sure everything would fit at the campsite.” We were so excited for our first camping trip together but were a bit nervous that there was quite a bit of rain in the forecast. David got off of work early on Friday and we arrived to our campsite just as the skies were clearing.”
“We woke up Saturday to clear blue skies and beautiful weather. David made me breakfast over the fire before a great 13 mile hike alongside Alpine Lakes and scenic vistas. We had such a great day hiking and laughing together. Once back at our campsite, we changed out of our sweaty hiking gear started to make our way to Sprague Lake to watch the sunset over a glass of wine. The sunset was as perfect as the sunrise earlier in the day with clear blue skies. As we were walking around the lake, we noticed a bride and groom taking their wedding pictures. We congratulated them as we passed and were approaching a clearing where it looked like someone was having a picnic. As we got a bit closer, I sat down on a bench to rest my legs after a long day hiking.”
“David, acting somewhat strange, took my hand and started leading me up a small hill to the picnic area. I was so confused because as we were walking, I saw a photographer moving from behind a rock. I looked at David and said, “Dave, move! There’s a photographer who’s trying to take that bride and groom’s picture!” He just smiled and kept leading me up the hill. We reached the area where the blanket was laid out and I noticed that it wasn’t a picnic at all; it was pictures of us, candles, roses, champagne and champagne flutes that had been engraved with our names, date, and location. David got down on one knee and asked me to marry him as Taylor and Mike, our fantastic husband and wife photography team, captured the best moment of our life!” -Krysta
Shooting family members seriously brings us true joy. Knowing our loved ones trust us with the most special and intimate day of their lives takes our confidence and pride in what we do to an entirely different level. When we found out Caleb had proposed to Brenda, we were absolutely elated! This man has been prayed for and anxiously awaited for to be welcomed into Brenda’s life, and when he finally came, there wasn’t a shadow of a doubt these two were meant to be together. Their genuine joy and excitement of being together is undeniable and quite honestly, they made our job of shooting their engagement photos super easy. We just waited for one of them to crack a joke and BOOM! We had the shot we were waiting for. We are so excited to be a part of this time in your lives, Brenda and Caleb, and we can’t wait for your big day next summer!
Mike and Tay
How did you two meet? “We met the way all fairy tale characters meet before their “happily ever after”! The good ol’ fashion way… Online, on match.com!”
When did you know that you wanted to marry each other? Caleb : “I believe it’s hard to pinpoint an exact moment in time that I realized I wanted to marry my best friend. It is a combination of monumental moments that makes this realization come to focus. It’s the moments that surprised me the most such as the times she showed her patience, determination and the unconditional love she displayed towards me and my life goals.”
Brenda : “It wasn’t really an exact moment for me but I knew on our first date that Caleb was someone special. We say we have “I love you moments” where our love deepened and our relationship grew and I think it was a culmination of those times that showed me that I couldn’t see my life without him.”
How did Caleb propose? Brenda : “I’m a teacher and Caleb proposed at the end of our summer school session! He had my principal in on it for months! My boss asked me to come to his office and we were talking about our summer plans. Then he handed me a note that said “This meeting has nothing to do with why you’re here. Take this flashlight and go to the gym.” When I walked into the dark gym, our song was playing and candles and rose petals scattered the room. There were tables set up with pictures and beautifully written memories that led around a corner to him on one knee! It was absolutely breath taking!”
What is your favorite quirk about the other? Brenda : “His quick sense of humor.” Caleb : ” Her ability to consistently surprise me in the sense of humor she displays.”
What are you most looking forward to about your wedding? Brenda: “That’s easy! Being married to Caleb at the end of it all!”
Caleb : “It’s as simple as finally being married to my best friend and sharing every waking moment together. I am turning a new page in this chapter of my life and I couldn’t be more ready!”
Meeting wonderful couples by chance is such an incredible thing. While hunting for our next car, we had the chance to meet Mike and spend some time with him. While chatting he told us about the love of his life, Heather, and their story (which is amazing). The met when Mike ran over a friend with a boat (no one was hurt)–but that event opened the door of a lifetime for these two! Their love for travel and their pups is so inspiring as is the way they make each other laugh and love is second to none. We’re so excited to have had the honor to meet them and start an awesome friendship! Thank you so much for having us be a part of your lives, you two!
Mike + Tay
I love, love, love winter photo shoots! I especially love them with couples from Florida 😉 Even though they’re Colorado natives, Caroline and Kyle are currently living in Florida while Caroline finishes up design school. It was truly a blast getting to meet them over FaceTime and then finally getting to meet them in person for their engagement shoot. This couple is one for the books. The way they make each other laugh could make you melt! We can’t wait for their Colorado wedding in 2016 at the Shupe Homestead! Bring on 2016 and enjoy that Florida sunshine you two!
More than anything, I wish y’all could hear their giggles through these photos! From the minute we started shooting their engagement photos, Kara and Steve’s love and admiration for each other was undeniable as they made each other laugh and had a blast the whole time. I am so honored we get to be a part of their big day next summer! Congratulations, you two!
When very little coaching is needed at an engagement shoot because of how genuinely adorable your couple is, you know you’ve struck gold! Right off the bat, Stacy and Ben were having a blast and were laughing in between kisses at their shoot at the Colorado Railroad Museum. Their loving and fun nature mixed with their love of old trains made their engagement shoot such a blast! We are so pumped for their wedding next spring! Congratulations you two!
When couples are as cute, loving, and giggly as Kaycee and Brandon are, they make our job easy! Add in the perfect week in Colorado for fall colors at Kenosha Pass, and you’re really set up for the perfect engagement shoot. Kaycee and Brandon are an incredible couple and you can literally hear their laughter and see their love in all of their photos. We’re so excited for your big day next winter! Thank you for having us be on this journey with you two!
Mike + Tay