As a couple, Mike and I are very adventurous spirits. On any given day you can find us pursuing some type of adventure on two wheels, two legs, four legs, four wheels, and with our dogs or other furry friends. Needless to say, our adventurous couples we have the honor of working with have our hearts! When we first met Carla and Nick for coffee in the fantastic mountain town of Ouray, Colorado, we immediately hit it off with them. Their love to adventure almost instantly got us swapping stories of our motorcycle road trips (they’ve got a seriously sweet record!), our love of hiking, Jeeping in the San Juans, making plans for our dogs happiness in hiking and food, and eventually, the amazing adventures of a wedding day.
These two are hard core Coloradans! Although they’re not natives, you’d be easily fooled. Their wedding next summer is set to take place at Top of the Pines in Ouray with their reception at the Secret Garden downtown. We were so excited just to plan their engagement shoot with them! Their suggestions for fun and adventurous places had us both totally giddy with excitement. When they decided they wanted to meet at Silver Jack Reservoir, we were stoked. Mike has explored that area quite a bit, but it’s very rare that we get folks who want to travel so far for their portraits. We’ll let images speak for themselves and allow Carla and Nick to share their story with y’all. Congratulations again you two! We are so stoked for your mountain wedding next summer!
Mike and Tay
• How did you two meet? “I (Carla) was working at a company in Tampa, Florida and Nick was brought in as a contractor to help out on one of our projects. We would grab coffee together almost every morning and we immediately hit it off. It wasn’t long before we started chatting after work hours even staying up until 5 in the morning sometimes!”
• Tell us about your first date! “Nick planned a day in Safety Harbor, Florida and kept it all a secret ahead of time. He took me to Philippe Park and then we grabbed dinner and drinks at this delicious place called Southern Fresh (southern food is one of my favorites). From there we grabbed ice cream and explored the city talking about any and everything.”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “We both knew back when we were just friends. It was already a topic of discussion the first week of dating haha. When you know, you know!”
• How did Nick propose? “We recently started getting canvas prints of my pictures to decorate our house with and Nick said it would be awesome if we had some sunrise shots from Yankee Boy Basin, one of our favorite areas. That Saturday we woke up at 3:30am and Jeeped up to this amazing lookout spot to wait for the sun to rise while sipping on hot chocolates that Nick made. As soon as the sun peaked over the mountains, Nick said he wanted to get a self-timed picture of us. Once I started the timer and stepped in front of the camera, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! Now we have an amazing picture of the moment that we plan to get printed.”
• What has been the most fun element of wedding planning? “Getting to do it together! Thankfully we both have the same taste with everything so brainstorming ideas together has been something we look forward to doing at the end of our work day.”
• What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day? “Marrying my best friend and getting our families together to celebrate!”