Nick and Carla Bobak | Top of the Pines Ridgeway and Beaumont Hotel Ouray Colorado Wedding Photographer
Adventurous couples make our hearts sing! We live for adventure in our own lives, and work to incorporate it into our photography as often as possible (and as long as our couples are up for letting us push them). When we first met Nick and Carla, we knew a friendship was starting. Their love for adventure motorcycle riding, sunrise hikes, exploring new areas, all paired with the adventurous sprits that lead them to move to Ouray, Colorado from Florida…well, let’s just say that they had us at “Hello”. We were so excited to not only be apart of their wedding day as photographers, but to also get to witness their marriage beginning with their closest friends and family at one of the most stunning places in Colorado, Top of the Pines in Ridgeway, Colorado. Their Beaumont Hotel reception felt like a tiny hideaway in the Switzerland of America and the love that surrounded them was amazing to see. We’re so excited to share their wedding day with y’all! Nick and Carla, we are so thrilled for the two of you and we can’t wait to hear all about your honeymoon motorcycle trip!
Mike and Tay
Ceremony Venue :: Top of the Pines, Ridgeway, Colorado
Reception Venue :: The Beaumont Hotel, Ouray, Colorado
Flowers :: Prive Events Design, Denver, Colorado
Day of Coordination :: Prive Events Design, Denver, Colorado
Hair and Makeup :: H&Co. A Luxe Salon, Buena Vista, Colorado
Caterer :: Provisions at the Barber Shop
Party Rentals :: Park Avenue Parties
DJ :: BJ the DJ of Goofballs Party Store
Returning to your childhood stomping grounds is always a nostalgic experience. However, when you return with your soon-to-be husband, family, and friends for your wedding day, it’s an even more incredible day! Lilly and Tim had one of the most memorable and sincere weddings at her folks ranch in Crawford, Colorado. After their beautiful ceremony at The Lodge at Needle Rock, everyone headed down the dirt road to her parents house where we all celebrated this amazing couples marriage. It was truly an honor to be a part of this time with you both, Lilly and Tim. Thank you so much for having us be there with you to document your awesome wedding day!
Mike and Tay
Lilly: “Sharing our personal vows with each other that we had written.”
Tim: “Proposing to Lilly.”
It’s always an honor to be a part of someone’s wedding day. We get to play an intimate role that we don’t take lightly. When our cousin, Brenda, and her husband Caleb asked if we would prefer to shoot their wedding day or be a guest, we immediately opted to shoot! There’s the obvious reason, of course: we love shooting! And then there’s the not so obvious reason, which we explained to Brenda and Caleb. As photographers, we play one of the closest and most personal positions on your wedding day. We spend all day with you, your friends, and your family as you get ready. We take car rides with you to your first look, take part in the intimate moment of you seeing each other for the first time, watch as you say your vows, and sweep you away throughout the night for photos. We seriously love this role and would be super bummed if we had only spent a fraction of the time with these two on their wedding day! We’re so thankful to have been a part of this truly wonderful day with family and friends! Thank you two so much for having us be there with you.
Mike and Tay
Starting out our 2017 wedding season couldn’t have gone more perfectly, mainly because we got to spend it with this amazing couple, their families, and friends! When we first met Elizabeth and Jared over coffee last year, we knew they were interviewing a handful of other photographers and prayed that they’d want us to be the ones to share their wedding day with them. Needless to say, we were elated when we got the phone call with the invitation to document their engagement season and their wedding day! The love that these two share and their story from childhood, is all too endearing, heart-throbbing, and beautiful. Elizabeth and Jared, we are truly honored you asked us to be a part of this time with you. We are so excited for our friendship and to watch you grow in your marriage! Congratulations to you both, we love you!
Mike and Tay
• How did the two of you meet? Elizabeth : “Jared and I met in high school. He played varsity lacrosse, and I was the water girl with one of my high school best friends. She and I decided to volunteer for the team because we had both done the spring musical together, and we wanted another after school activity we could do once the musical had ended. Jared had to sit out of practice one day because he was injured, and I happened to be sitting on the sidelines that day too. My friend wasn’t there yet, so Jared struck up a conversation with me, and we clicked right away. We started hanging out, we became close friends, and eventually we started dating.”
• Jared, how did you propose? “I was visiting from work in Utah for Thanksgiving break, and I told Elizabeth that I wanted to have a date night on Friday night since I don’t come town often, and I wanted some time for the two of us. I didn’t tell her any other parts of the plan other than we were going out. Behind the scenes though earlier in the week, I had already asked both her parents for her hand in marriage. I also had already hired a photographer to meet at the Denver Botanic Gardens – Blossom of Lights. On the night of our date, I took her to Capital Grille, the place where we had our first anniversary dinner, about 7 1/2 years ago. After dinner, I casually mentioned that we should maybe check out the Blossom of Lights since it was the opening night. She resisted because it was just starting to snow and said she would rather go home and watch a movie, but I insisted that we be spontaneous and continue the evening. Little did she know, a photographer and engagement awaited us. About half way through the Blossom of Lights tour, there was an intimate spot next to a gazebo. I pulled her aside over to this spot, got down on one knee, and asked her to marry me.”
• Tell us about your first look! Having done it, would you do it again? Elizabeth: “Our first look was incredible! I tapped him on the shoulder, he turned around, and it was a surreal feeling as we spent that quiet moment together seeing each other for the first time right before our ceremony. It made all of my nerves go away and everything was perfect. He was so darn handsome too! We would definitely do it again!”
• What inspired the epic “Usher” usher? “We knew from the beginning that we wanted our wedding to fit who we are – classic, romantic, and goofy! Having “Usher” be our usher seemed liked a quirky touch that would reflect our goofiness and would make our guests laugh from the beginning.”
• How did you guys choose the Highlands Ranch Mansion for your wedding venue? Elizabeth: “I found out about it in one of my classes, and I even included it in an event plan of mine for a class project. We toured a few other venues, but when we walked away from the Highlands Ranch Mansion, we knew that it was the perfect venue for us.”
• What was your most memorable moment from your wedding day? “Exchanging our vows was by far the most memorable moment. Being announced as husband and wife was also such an exciting moment!”
• What was the most fun part of wedding planning for you? Jared: “Food tastings and building our wedding arbor.”
Elizabeth: “The most fun part of wedding planning was choosing our music, practicing our first dance, and planning our ceremony. I also loved how much time I got to spend with my parents and sister throughout the whole process. It brought us all closer together, and I so appreciated all the help and advice they gave me. Even though it was stressful at times, we would do it all over again!”
• What advice do you have for couples planning their wedding now? “Don’t stress over the little things. You don’t notice them on your big day, and neither do your guests. They are there for you… and not for the color of your chairs. If you find yourself stressed, remember the reason why you are planning a wedding – to get married to the love of your life! Treasure each moment with your fiancé and with your friends and family that surround you at each step of the way. Oh and choose your Pinterest projects wisely…”
• Are you going on a honeymoon? If so, where are you going? “We did a mini-moon in Vail right after the wedding, and we’re going to Jamaica for our grand honeymoon (can we call that one a full moon?) :)”
Venue :: Highlands Ranch Mansion
Hair & Makeup :: Kathryn Fischer (MOH – Bride’s hair, Caitlin Zimmerman (Hair), Melanie Goodrich (make up)
Officiant :: Shawn, Brother of the Bride
Caterer :: Rocky Mountain Catering, Linda Goold
Desserts :: Nothing Bundt Cakes (Lonetree)
Rentals :: Event Rents
Videographer :: GPS Wedding Films, Greg Schlosser
Florist :: Designs by Theresa, Theresa Guthrie
DJ :: Elite DJ, Jason
Wedding Planner :: Angie Vossler
Brides Dress :: Luv Bridal
Meeting couples for the first time the day before their wedding day is always nerve wracking. We always want to make sure our couples love us and that they feel comfortable with us. With Zach and Mahala, despite not meeting them until their rehearsal dinner, we knew we had met an awesome couple. Their rehearsal dinner was a quick glimpse into their lives with the people the love most: their family, close friends, and distant relatives who traveled all the way from Germany to celebrate this exciting day with them. We were so excited for their wedding day and it was nothing short of an incredible refection of this awesome couple! Mahala grew up and went to school just up the road from their wedding venue, the Evergreen Lake House, and their dog Ryder joined them for their first look. We are so honored to have been a part of this amazing day. Thank you so much, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, for having us document your wedding day and a huge congratulations on your marriage!
Taylor and Mike
• How did you two meet? “We met at a Halloween Party at a mutual friend’s house. Zach was one of two Zach’s I met at the party but he was dressed like a bear so I decided to call him bear the first 6 months I knew him.”
• Tell us about your first date! “We went camping in New Mexico! Very unusual first date – but we hit it off and have been together since. We’ll always have Questa.”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “Funny story – we were out at dinner for my birthday last year and Zach gave me this beautiful jewlery box. He had just told me he was going to move to Denver and a big reason was because he wanted to be able to spend more time with me (he was living in Vail at the time.) I thought he was going to propose (we hadn’t talked about it at all yet.) I got really nervous, opened the box and he had given me Golden Bear earrings from Vail. We’ve always been really open with each other so I told him how I had thought he was going to propose, then he asked me what I would have said if he did and here we are!”
• Zach, how did you propose? “We went on a trip to Portugal and I didn’t have a set time I was going to propose, I was just waiting for the right time. Finally, on day 3 of me carrying the ring with me everywhere we went, the moment arrived. We went hiking along the coast to find some beaches and after scaling down this crag, we eventually found one with no one on it in this beautiful cove. We had a picnic and about 30 minutes in I got on my knee (although Mahala was sitting) and asked her to marry me.”
• What was the most fun part of wedding planning? “Getting each other rings!”
• How did you chose the Evergreen Lake House for your wedding? “It’s a beautiful place down the street from where Mahala grew up! It’s always been a special place for her family.”
• Tell us about your first look. Having done one, would you do it again? “We would absolutely do it again! It’s actually really nice that it’s less people when you see each other for the first time on the big day! We were so happy to see each other after such a busy morning.”
• What was your most memorable moment from your wedding day? “We’re going to have to go with two moments – when Zach dipped Mahala for an incredible first married kiss. Also, when Mahala got really hot from dancing so we went outside to get air, then the whole dance party followed us outside and we all sang Journey and danced on the deck.”
• What is one quirk you love about the other? “I love that Zach randomly sings all the time – on one of our first dates we went hiking and sang the whole Sound of Music soundtrack. I love how she can never find any of her belongings. In general, the keys end up in the bathroom, a purse might be under a chair, the shoes will be hiding in the living room, and there may be a phone in the fridge – it keeps it exciting!”
• What advice do you have for couple planning their wedding now? “People remember most how you treat them at your wedding – not what flowers you had on the table or what food you served them.”
• Are you going on a honeymoon? “If so, where and what do you have planned? We’re going to Germany so Mahala can meet Zach’s grandparents. Then we’re going on a small boat cruise through Croatia and finishing up with a few days on the beach in Montenegro.”
I am so excited to share this amazing couple’s wedding with y’all on this Friday! The just tied the knot on Sunday, but with such an amazing day, I just couldn’t wait to get to editing their photos. Cheryl and Janaka are easily two of the most amazing people we’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. From our first phone chat to when they came over to our place for drinks and snacks, we hit it off immediately! Their story is one of the stars aligning perfectly and following their hearts that ultimately lead to each other. Their passion for adventure and love of all things outdoors made their wedding day at Mount Princeton Resort in Nathrop, Colorado one to remember! With 30MPH winds but a blue bird sky, these two were down for anything, including getting into the river! To you both, we just love you and are so excited for our friendship what has blossomed these last few months. We can’t wait to see where your marriage takes you!
Love you guys!
Mike and Tay
• What advice do you have for couples planning their wedding now? “If you don’t love it, find something else. You have to pick the things and people that match your personality.”
• How did you choose Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort for your wedding venue? “We already felt a magical connection with mt Princeton Hot Springs as a family, so when we found out we could actually get married there, it was easy. Everyone there was so wonderful.”
Venue :: Mount Prince Hot Springs Resort | Nathrop, Colorado
Sound :: Continental Divide Productions
Cake :: Abigail Vierling
Hair :: Ashley Costa
Grooms Suit :: JoS A Bank
Brides Dress :: David’s Bridal
For the last few years, we have been trying to put ourselves “out there” more. By “out there”, we mean making ourselves a little more vulnerable. This year was only the second year that we entered into the Shoot & Share Photography contest. This contest is one of the most highly anticipated events in the photography community (I’m not even kidding when I say there are copious Facebook groups and “watch parties” dedicated to this event). This year was the biggest yet! How it works, is everyone and anyone is allowed to participate. Here were the numbers for 2017: 10,000 PHOTOGRAPEHRS submitted photos, 330,000 PHOTOS were submitted, 60 MILLION VOTES were cast, 1 MILLION IMAGES were favorited, 10,602 DAYS (29 YEARS) spent in the contest, 156 COUNTRIES were involved. This contest is voted for by anyone, but there are tons of photographers who spend countless hours voting and getting inspired by others images. So, needless to say, we are ecstatic and so proud that 18 of our images placed in their categories. We are also thrilled to share that one of our images, which was in the WANDERLUST category, placed in the TOP 100! Thanks for sharing in our excitement!
Mike and Tay
Since the very first time we met this couple, we knew they were super special. We met for coffee in Lakewood last winter and immediately hit it off. Rachelle’s daughter, Kenslie, is a total firecracker! The way she interacted with her mama and soon to be stepdad was simply amazing. Having said, watching Gene reciprocate the hilarious facial expressions and hearing them tell the story of how they got engaged (with Kenslie’s help) was truly heart warming. We just knew that their wedding day was going to be something spectacular.
When their big day finally came, there was excitement and love everywhere! During their first look, Gene and Rachelle opted to have an intimate moment together near Genesee mountain. The first time Gene saw Rachelle in her dress was magical. The two held each other, cracked jokes, and really took in the moment that they were experiencing together. With tears of joy, laughter, and stress seemingly melting away, they headed off to their ceremony at the Pines at Genesee. Orchestrated by Keith Horstman, their vows were powerful, the glances they stole from each other were precious, and the moment Gene gave Kenslie a necklace to symbolize his heartfelt thanks of her acceptance of him into their family was just perfectly them.
Mr. & Mrs. Taylor, we can’t thank you enough for having had us be a part of your amazing engagement season and wedding day. Thank you so much for inviting us into your lives! You are so loved!
Mike and Tay
• How did the two of you meet? “What a long story ours is…..so we originally met in 2007. Gene met my friend Whitney (who is also one of my bridesmaids) out downtown one night and they started dating. I met him a few weeks later and we became friends, as obviously he was dating my friend. Whitney and Gene didn’t date too long, but still remained in close contact. Gene went to Afghanistan to work for a year in 2008-2009 and when he came back, I was dating Kenslie’s dad. He and I broke up when she was 1. Right about the time that Kenslie’s dad and I broke up, it just happened that I was spending more time with some good friends, and Gene always happened to be there. We were playing kickball that summer (2012) and they always put on a “flip-flop ball” and we all decided to go. Gene told me that night about his feelings for me and I was shocked, as I had never thought of him as anything more than a friend. But, after he told me, and after I spoke with Whitney to get the ok, he and I started dating. We dated on and off as the timing was never great. But, at Whitney’s wedding in June 2015, we were both there, the timing was perfect, and we definitely knew that we were meant to be 🙂 SO that’s a very long answer to the “how we met” question! But its all important info.”
• How did Gene propose? “Gene proposed on a casual Sunday. We were watching the Broncos game at home (the one where they beat the Patriots to go to the Super Bowl, and Gene hates the Broncos too by the way, so this was a painful game for him to watch) and Kenslie kept saying that she was bored and wanted a brother or sister to play with. Gene then said “well, your mom and I need to get married first before you can have a brother or sister”. She goes “well, yeah…” in her true sassy-ness! He then asked her to go back in to our room and they talked about if it was ok to get married, and then they both came out and she was the one who handed me the ring. She goes “here mom” and gene got down on one knee. It was really sweet and perfect for us.”
• What was the most memorable moment of your wedding day? “Gene said the most memorable moment for him was our first look. Rachelle said the most memorable for her was standing at the ceremony site, holding Genes hand and looking out to see all our friends and family who came to support us.”
• Having done a first look, what did you love most about it? Would you do it again? “We would definitely have done it again! We loved being able to have a quiet moment for just the two of us and loved being able to see each other before the ceremony. It was a very special moment for us.”
• What are you most looking forward to in your marriage? “Gene said it is waking up everyday with his new wife 🙂 Rachelle said it is knowing that my best friend is always by my side.”
• How did you choose the Pines at Genesee for your wedding day? “We had looked at a few other places prior to the Pines at Genesee but when we both walked inside, it felt perfect. We loved the intimate feeling of the ceremony site and the banquet area was really open and inviting. We also loved the views of the mountains and of the city and felt it was the right place for us.”
• If you could pick one word to describe your ceremony what would it be? “Personal! We really tried to include our guests and make the ceremony about our love story. So many of our guests came to us after the ceremony and said they really enjoyed how personal it was and how they felt like they knew us better.”
You know those kids who say things like, “Grandma and Grandpa have been married for 120 years and they flipped a coin to see where they should elope!” Yep, Alex and Alissa are going to be those grandparents! This wonderful couple reconnected this past summer as they were graduating Weapon School. Within days they knew they wanted to marry each other and wasted no time getting to where they wanted to be!
On a road trip from Las Vegas, Nevada to Texas, Alissa and Alex decided to flip a coin to see where they’d elope. Heads=Colorado…tails=Texas. As luck would have it, the coin landed on “tails” and these two headed off to get married in the great state of Texas, before heading to meet Alex’s family for the first time! After everything was finalized, the began planning their Colorado wedding ceremony and reception at Willow Vale Events. The love that surrounded these two on their special day was astounding and so overwhelmingly beautiful! We are so thankful that Mr. and Mrs. Arbuckle chose to share their wedding day with us. Congratulations you two!
Mike and Tay
• How did the two of you meet? “Alex and I met briefly at Moody AFB in GA a couple years ago but didn’t stay in touch. We remet at the Nellis AFB officers club while we were both attending weapons school. His friend pointed us out to each other.”
• Tell us about your first date! From Alissa : “Our first date is somewhat debatable. It may have been Alex teaching me to play Black Jack after we’d gone out for sushi with a group of friends. I could never decide if you should always or never hit on a 9, but Alex was adamant that you should always double down. The real first date was technically after a long day at work when we went to Buffalo Wild Wings at 4am. They were playing crazy mariachi music which was pretty entertaining. We were going to go for a sunrise hike later that morning but realized we’d only get 3 hrs of sleep going into another long work day so we postponed that.”
From Alex : “Our first date is super debatable. Maybe it was the blackjack night, maybe it was Buffalo Wild Wings at 0400…. But I’d say our first real date as a couple was at a café in Flagstaff, Arizona. We had just officially started dating (this was 2 days before our first wedding in Texas)- and we were driving from Vegas to Houston together. We stopped in Flagstaff and chose between a “Subway Café” or a small diner next door. We opted for the diner, and had a great time just enjoying our first one on one time outside of Vegas and the crazy stress of Weapons School. It was awesome.”
• How did Alex propose? “The first time? After a few to many drinks down on one knee with no ring haha. The second time was after we were already married on our back porch watching a great thunderstorm in the pouring rain at night. He had a list of the 21 reasons we should be wed and my ring.”
• Having done a first look, what did you love most about it? Would you do it again? From Alissa : “I loved Alex getting to see me before anybody else. We shared some champagne in our toasting Moscow mule mugs and just got to hang out and enjoy each others company for a while before the festivities. We would absolutely do it again!”
From Alex : “I agree with Alissa on the first look- I thought it was private and awesome and probably one of the most memorable portions of the whole night. Alissa was stunningly gorgeous and it was great to have her all to myself before the ceremony. Not to mention the pictures were amazing.”
• If you could pick one word to describe your ceremony what would it be? “Our ceremony was perfect!”
• What was the most memorable moment of your wedding day? From Alissa : “Our nephew Eli was the ring bearer and took off running at a dead sprint across a little bridge and down the aisle – shirt tails and sleeves flapping as he ran with the ring box outstretched in his hand to Alex.”
From Alex : “My favorite part was our vows- reading my vows that I had written, that were very personal to me, in front of our friends and family and then hearing hers for the first time was, in my opinion, the whole purpose of the night, and was exactly how I hoped it would be.”
• How did you choose Willow Vale for your wedding destination? From the couple : “We were looking for a venue that was beautiful and casual where we could have a great party and have a beautiful outdoor ceremony. We think we nailed it! Willow Vale was close enough to town to be convenient, but set out far enough to give us the rustic wedding we were looking for. It had a really neat historical charm, and we loved that.”
• What advice do you have for couples planning their wedding now? From Alissa : ”
We would advise other couples to have a good wedding coordinator so that you don’t miss any little details and you can plan your great ideas pretty stress free.”
From Alex : “For wedding planning, I recommend marrying a woman whose sister is a professional wedding planner. That worked great for me.”
• What are you most looking forward to in marriage? From Alissa : “We’re most looking forward to living out our adventures together. We have so much fun together in everything we do, we know life can be a challenge but we’re excited to go through it together as best friends and partners in crime!”
From Alex : “Not to sound cliché, but the part I’m most looking forward to in our marriage is spending every day with my best friend. I feel like every day is a blessing, getting to come home to her. We’ll have some great adventures together.”
Venue :: Willow Vale Events, Hillside, CO
Planning :: Cari Frink, Fort Collins, CO
Flowers :: Garden Wall Floral, Penrose, CO
Catering and Cakes :: Kalamata Pit, Salida, CO
Rentals :: Settings Event Rental, Salida, CO
Hair and makeup :: Bride’s friend Megan
What if your own wedding was the first one you ever attended? For Kyle and Hanna, this was true! I met Hanna in high school and was totally elated when her mother, Terra, called me this past winter and said that her and her husband were surprising Hanna and Kyle by gifting them their wedding photography. We were honored and thrilled to be apart of this exciting time for the Haggerty and Conway families.
After chatting with Hanna and Kyle over FaceTime for the first time, I learned that their wedding was the first either would attend in their adult lives. How flipping incredible is that?! These two moved from West Virginia to Porland, Oregon together to pursue their careers and love of the outdoors, and their wedding day mimicked all of their wonderful personality traits. Needless to say, I felt right at home when John Denver’s “Country Roads” came on and I realized that nearly everyone at the wedding was a MOUNTAINEER from WVU! Their emotional ceremony at Postelwaits in Canby, Oregon was followed by a wonderful reception party at the barn!
Mr. & Mrs. Conway, thank you so much for having us be a part of your amazing wedding day! You are truly a special and amazing couple and we couldn’t be more excited for your journey into marriage. Love you guys!
Mike and Tay