Nick and Carla Bobak | Top of the Pines Ridgeway and Beaumont Hotel Ouray Colorado Wedding Photographer
Adventurous couples make our hearts sing! We live for adventure in our own lives, and work to incorporate it into our photography as often as possible (and as long as our couples are up for letting us push them). When we first met Nick and Carla, we knew a friendship was starting. Their love for adventure motorcycle riding, sunrise hikes, exploring new areas, all paired with the adventurous sprits that lead them to move to Ouray, Colorado from Florida…well, let’s just say that they had us at “Hello”. We were so excited to not only be apart of their wedding day as photographers, but to also get to witness their marriage beginning with their closest friends and family at one of the most stunning places in Colorado, Top of the Pines in Ridgeway, Colorado. Their Beaumont Hotel reception felt like a tiny hideaway in the Switzerland of America and the love that surrounded them was amazing to see. We’re so excited to share their wedding day with y’all! Nick and Carla, we are so thrilled for the two of you and we can’t wait to hear all about your honeymoon motorcycle trip!
Mike and Tay
Ceremony Venue :: Top of the Pines, Ridgeway, Colorado
Reception Venue :: The Beaumont Hotel, Ouray, Colorado
Flowers :: Prive Events Design, Denver, Colorado
Day of Coordination :: Prive Events Design, Denver, Colorado
Hair and Makeup :: H&Co. A Luxe Salon, Buena Vista, Colorado
Caterer :: Provisions at the Barber Shop
Party Rentals :: Park Avenue Parties
DJ :: BJ the DJ of Goofballs Party Store
Returning to your childhood stomping grounds is always a nostalgic experience. However, when you return with your soon-to-be husband, family, and friends for your wedding day, it’s an even more incredible day! Lilly and Tim had one of the most memorable and sincere weddings at her folks ranch in Crawford, Colorado. After their beautiful ceremony at The Lodge at Needle Rock, everyone headed down the dirt road to her parents house where we all celebrated this amazing couples marriage. It was truly an honor to be a part of this time with you both, Lilly and Tim. Thank you so much for having us be there with you to document your awesome wedding day!
Mike and Tay
Lilly: “Sharing our personal vows with each other that we had written.”
Tim: “Proposing to Lilly.”
Oh, you guys, I’m so excited to share this engagement shoot with you! From the first time we chatted with Lauren and Trent, we were super excited about their big day and vision for their wedding. Planning a wedding at home is no easy feat, but that’s exactly what these two are doing as they plan to marry on their property in Fort Morgan, Colorado next summer! Since they’re having their ranch wedding, they wanted to head to the mountains for their engagement shoot. So to Breckenridge we went! It was so great spending an evening getting to know these two, hear their story, and watch their personalities come through in their images. We can’t wait for their big day next summer!
Cheers, Tay and Mike
It’s always an honor to be a part of someone’s wedding day. We get to play an intimate role that we don’t take lightly. When our cousin, Brenda, and her husband Caleb asked if we would prefer to shoot their wedding day or be a guest, we immediately opted to shoot! There’s the obvious reason, of course: we love shooting! And then there’s the not so obvious reason, which we explained to Brenda and Caleb. As photographers, we play one of the closest and most personal positions on your wedding day. We spend all day with you, your friends, and your family as you get ready. We take car rides with you to your first look, take part in the intimate moment of you seeing each other for the first time, watch as you say your vows, and sweep you away throughout the night for photos. We seriously love this role and would be super bummed if we had only spent a fraction of the time with these two on their wedding day! We’re so thankful to have been a part of this truly wonderful day with family and friends! Thank you two so much for having us be there with you.
Mike and Tay
Meeting our couples for the first time at their engagement shoot is always an exciting and nervous time. However, from the second Allison and Matt got out of their car, I knew we were meant to be a part of each others lives during this time! We immediately hit it off while we chatted about fishing, first time home buying, wedding planning, and their love story. Their ease in front of the camera and undeniable connection to each other was refreshing and relaxing to witness behind the lens. As a photographer, no one tells you that your job is easiest when a couple truly loves each other and has a sincere connection. These two nailed it and their happiness eeeks out of their engagement images! Allison and Matt, thank you so much for having us be a part of this awesome time for y’all! We can’t wait for your fall wedding later this year.
Starting out our 2017 wedding season couldn’t have gone more perfectly, mainly because we got to spend it with this amazing couple, their families, and friends! When we first met Elizabeth and Jared over coffee last year, we knew they were interviewing a handful of other photographers and prayed that they’d want us to be the ones to share their wedding day with them. Needless to say, we were elated when we got the phone call with the invitation to document their engagement season and their wedding day! The love that these two share and their story from childhood, is all too endearing, heart-throbbing, and beautiful. Elizabeth and Jared, we are truly honored you asked us to be a part of this time with you. We are so excited for our friendship and to watch you grow in your marriage! Congratulations to you both, we love you!
Mike and Tay
• How did the two of you meet? Elizabeth : “Jared and I met in high school. He played varsity lacrosse, and I was the water girl with one of my high school best friends. She and I decided to volunteer for the team because we had both done the spring musical together, and we wanted another after school activity we could do once the musical had ended. Jared had to sit out of practice one day because he was injured, and I happened to be sitting on the sidelines that day too. My friend wasn’t there yet, so Jared struck up a conversation with me, and we clicked right away. We started hanging out, we became close friends, and eventually we started dating.”
• Jared, how did you propose? “I was visiting from work in Utah for Thanksgiving break, and I told Elizabeth that I wanted to have a date night on Friday night since I don’t come town often, and I wanted some time for the two of us. I didn’t tell her any other parts of the plan other than we were going out. Behind the scenes though earlier in the week, I had already asked both her parents for her hand in marriage. I also had already hired a photographer to meet at the Denver Botanic Gardens – Blossom of Lights. On the night of our date, I took her to Capital Grille, the place where we had our first anniversary dinner, about 7 1/2 years ago. After dinner, I casually mentioned that we should maybe check out the Blossom of Lights since it was the opening night. She resisted because it was just starting to snow and said she would rather go home and watch a movie, but I insisted that we be spontaneous and continue the evening. Little did she know, a photographer and engagement awaited us. About half way through the Blossom of Lights tour, there was an intimate spot next to a gazebo. I pulled her aside over to this spot, got down on one knee, and asked her to marry me.”
• Tell us about your first look! Having done it, would you do it again? Elizabeth: “Our first look was incredible! I tapped him on the shoulder, he turned around, and it was a surreal feeling as we spent that quiet moment together seeing each other for the first time right before our ceremony. It made all of my nerves go away and everything was perfect. He was so darn handsome too! We would definitely do it again!”
• What inspired the epic “Usher” usher? “We knew from the beginning that we wanted our wedding to fit who we are – classic, romantic, and goofy! Having “Usher” be our usher seemed liked a quirky touch that would reflect our goofiness and would make our guests laugh from the beginning.”
• How did you guys choose the Highlands Ranch Mansion for your wedding venue? Elizabeth: “I found out about it in one of my classes, and I even included it in an event plan of mine for a class project. We toured a few other venues, but when we walked away from the Highlands Ranch Mansion, we knew that it was the perfect venue for us.”
• What was your most memorable moment from your wedding day? “Exchanging our vows was by far the most memorable moment. Being announced as husband and wife was also such an exciting moment!”
• What was the most fun part of wedding planning for you? Jared: “Food tastings and building our wedding arbor.”
Elizabeth: “The most fun part of wedding planning was choosing our music, practicing our first dance, and planning our ceremony. I also loved how much time I got to spend with my parents and sister throughout the whole process. It brought us all closer together, and I so appreciated all the help and advice they gave me. Even though it was stressful at times, we would do it all over again!”
• What advice do you have for couples planning their wedding now? “Don’t stress over the little things. You don’t notice them on your big day, and neither do your guests. They are there for you… and not for the color of your chairs. If you find yourself stressed, remember the reason why you are planning a wedding – to get married to the love of your life! Treasure each moment with your fiancé and with your friends and family that surround you at each step of the way. Oh and choose your Pinterest projects wisely…”
• Are you going on a honeymoon? If so, where are you going? “We did a mini-moon in Vail right after the wedding, and we’re going to Jamaica for our grand honeymoon (can we call that one a full moon?) :)”
Venue :: Highlands Ranch Mansion
Hair & Makeup :: Kathryn Fischer (MOH – Bride’s hair, Caitlin Zimmerman (Hair), Melanie Goodrich (make up)
Officiant :: Shawn, Brother of the Bride
Caterer :: Rocky Mountain Catering, Linda Goold
Desserts :: Nothing Bundt Cakes (Lonetree)
Rentals :: Event Rents
Videographer :: GPS Wedding Films, Greg Schlosser
Florist :: Designs by Theresa, Theresa Guthrie
DJ :: Elite DJ, Jason
Wedding Planner :: Angie Vossler
Brides Dress :: Luv Bridal
Being in your senior year of high school is easily one of the most exciting times of your life. Everything in front of you is enticing, unknown, and an adventure. Graduating high school and heading to the rodeo, however, has to be one of the coolest transitions that Nathan has in store for his senior year. When I first met Nathan, I knew he was an awesome guy. He shook my hand and walked over to me with his horse, Huck (ironic that his name was Finn and that’s what we named our paint horse!) Their relationship was one that I just adored documenting. The pushed each other, nudged the other out of the frame, and I could tell that Huck was just as excited about leaving for college as Nathan was. We walked around their ranch in Nathrop, Colorado, where we have recently planted our own roots, and shot as the sun set over the Collegiate Peaks. I’ve got to say, I’m so excited to see where Nathan’s future takes him. His passion for what he does and commitment to his riding is unparalleled and I’m honored to have been there to document these sweet moments during his senior year. Congratulations, Nathan (and Huck)!
Meeting couples for the first time the day before their wedding day is always nerve wracking. We always want to make sure our couples love us and that they feel comfortable with us. With Zach and Mahala, despite not meeting them until their rehearsal dinner, we knew we had met an awesome couple. Their rehearsal dinner was a quick glimpse into their lives with the people the love most: their family, close friends, and distant relatives who traveled all the way from Germany to celebrate this exciting day with them. We were so excited for their wedding day and it was nothing short of an incredible refection of this awesome couple! Mahala grew up and went to school just up the road from their wedding venue, the Evergreen Lake House, and their dog Ryder joined them for their first look. We are so honored to have been a part of this amazing day. Thank you so much, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, for having us document your wedding day and a huge congratulations on your marriage!
Taylor and Mike
• How did you two meet? “We met at a Halloween Party at a mutual friend’s house. Zach was one of two Zach’s I met at the party but he was dressed like a bear so I decided to call him bear the first 6 months I knew him.”
• Tell us about your first date! “We went camping in New Mexico! Very unusual first date – but we hit it off and have been together since. We’ll always have Questa.”
• When did you know you wanted to marry each other? “Funny story – we were out at dinner for my birthday last year and Zach gave me this beautiful jewlery box. He had just told me he was going to move to Denver and a big reason was because he wanted to be able to spend more time with me (he was living in Vail at the time.) I thought he was going to propose (we hadn’t talked about it at all yet.) I got really nervous, opened the box and he had given me Golden Bear earrings from Vail. We’ve always been really open with each other so I told him how I had thought he was going to propose, then he asked me what I would have said if he did and here we are!”
• Zach, how did you propose? “We went on a trip to Portugal and I didn’t have a set time I was going to propose, I was just waiting for the right time. Finally, on day 3 of me carrying the ring with me everywhere we went, the moment arrived. We went hiking along the coast to find some beaches and after scaling down this crag, we eventually found one with no one on it in this beautiful cove. We had a picnic and about 30 minutes in I got on my knee (although Mahala was sitting) and asked her to marry me.”
• What was the most fun part of wedding planning? “Getting each other rings!”
• How did you chose the Evergreen Lake House for your wedding? “It’s a beautiful place down the street from where Mahala grew up! It’s always been a special place for her family.”
• Tell us about your first look. Having done one, would you do it again? “We would absolutely do it again! It’s actually really nice that it’s less people when you see each other for the first time on the big day! We were so happy to see each other after such a busy morning.”
• What was your most memorable moment from your wedding day? “We’re going to have to go with two moments – when Zach dipped Mahala for an incredible first married kiss. Also, when Mahala got really hot from dancing so we went outside to get air, then the whole dance party followed us outside and we all sang Journey and danced on the deck.”
• What is one quirk you love about the other? “I love that Zach randomly sings all the time – on one of our first dates we went hiking and sang the whole Sound of Music soundtrack. I love how she can never find any of her belongings. In general, the keys end up in the bathroom, a purse might be under a chair, the shoes will be hiding in the living room, and there may be a phone in the fridge – it keeps it exciting!”
• What advice do you have for couple planning their wedding now? “People remember most how you treat them at your wedding – not what flowers you had on the table or what food you served them.”
• Are you going on a honeymoon? “If so, where and what do you have planned? We’re going to Germany so Mahala can meet Zach’s grandparents. Then we’re going on a small boat cruise through Croatia and finishing up with a few days on the beach in Montenegro.”
I am so excited to share this amazing couple’s wedding with y’all on this Friday! The just tied the knot on Sunday, but with such an amazing day, I just couldn’t wait to get to editing their photos. Cheryl and Janaka are easily two of the most amazing people we’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. From our first phone chat to when they came over to our place for drinks and snacks, we hit it off immediately! Their story is one of the stars aligning perfectly and following their hearts that ultimately lead to each other. Their passion for adventure and love of all things outdoors made their wedding day at Mount Princeton Resort in Nathrop, Colorado one to remember! With 30MPH winds but a blue bird sky, these two were down for anything, including getting into the river! To you both, we just love you and are so excited for our friendship what has blossomed these last few months. We can’t wait to see where your marriage takes you!
Love you guys!
Mike and Tay
• What advice do you have for couples planning their wedding now? “If you don’t love it, find something else. You have to pick the things and people that match your personality.”
• How did you choose Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort for your wedding venue? “We already felt a magical connection with mt Princeton Hot Springs as a family, so when we found out we could actually get married there, it was easy. Everyone there was so wonderful.”
Venue :: Mount Prince Hot Springs Resort | Nathrop, Colorado
Sound :: Continental Divide Productions
Cake :: Abigail Vierling
Hair :: Ashley Costa
Grooms Suit :: JoS A Bank
Brides Dress :: David’s Bridal
For the last few years, we have been trying to put ourselves “out there” more. By “out there”, we mean making ourselves a little more vulnerable. This year was only the second year that we entered into the Shoot & Share Photography contest. This contest is one of the most highly anticipated events in the photography community (I’m not even kidding when I say there are copious Facebook groups and “watch parties” dedicated to this event). This year was the biggest yet! How it works, is everyone and anyone is allowed to participate. Here were the numbers for 2017: 10,000 PHOTOGRAPEHRS submitted photos, 330,000 PHOTOS were submitted, 60 MILLION VOTES were cast, 1 MILLION IMAGES were favorited, 10,602 DAYS (29 YEARS) spent in the contest, 156 COUNTRIES were involved. This contest is voted for by anyone, but there are tons of photographers who spend countless hours voting and getting inspired by others images. So, needless to say, we are ecstatic and so proud that 18 of our images placed in their categories. We are also thrilled to share that one of our images, which was in the WANDERLUST category, placed in the TOP 100! Thanks for sharing in our excitement!
Mike and Tay